Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sweet and Sour Meatballs



This is just a quick additional recipe I wanted to share. I have seen similar recipes posted on Pinterest lately, and I just wanted to share a quick appetizer that my mother learned from my Aunt many years ago. My mom was so excited about this quick and delicious recipe that she has continued making it frequently for many years. Some versions I have seen on Pinterest call for a bottle of BBQ sauce and a bottle of grape jelly, which may be tasty, but it certainly wouldn't taste very "sweet and sour". The combination of grape jelly and chili sauce is a perfect balance of flavors. 
    This recipe is very forgiving. I usually aim for about equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce. If you want more sauce, you can use a little more chili sauce and grape jelly; if you want less sauce you can use less grape jelly and chili sauce. I have attached photographs of a pot of meatballs so you can gauge how much sauce the recipe makes.  I personally think the recipe is perfect as-is! 


Ingredients:
2 pounds of frozen meatballs (or homemade)
12 ounce bottle chili sauce
12 ounce jar of grape jelly

Optional: Pinch of red pepper flakes

Instructions: 
Stove-top method: 

1) Pour chili sauce, grape jelly, meatballs, and optional pepper flakes into a large heavy bottomed saucepan or dutch oven. 
2) Cook on low heat for about 2 hours. If you are in a hurry, cook on medium heat until sauce has combined nicely and meatballs are cooked through. (Like I said, this recipe is very forgiving and adaptable)

Crock Pot:
1)Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 3 hours.


So sorry for the quality of my pictures. They are all taken on my Iphone 4. I will have a new camera soon and I am very excited!




No comments:

Post a Comment