Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Matzo Ball Soup


Hello, all! I am finally finished with my semester and started my summer vacation. Yay! It is so great to be back in the kitchen making recipes fit for my blog! It is easy to get in the habit of making the same foods over and over when you are busy. I can't wait to use the next few months as an opportunity to try new recipes and culinary techniques. 

The first thing I did after my last final exam was test out recipes for Matzo Ball Soup. It was very easy. I sauteed my vegetables in a little oil, then mixed in the some bouillon powder ( I didn't have any homemade stock), water, a bay leaf, salt and pepper. Then I added a couple of chicken thighs, (bone-in, skin off), and let the soup simmer for about an hour. Then I made the Matzo balls and cooked them! They were tender and flavorful, and I added my own spin to them by adding a little chopped parsley and cayenne for heat. Next time you want some comfort food without tons of guilt, give this recipe a try!

Ingredients:
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or whatever oil you have)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
2-3 bone in, skin removed chicken thighs*
3 quarts chicken broth or stock (I used a brand of bouillon I love)
1 bay leaf

For the Matzo balls:
4 eggs
1/4 C. seltzer water (or regular water)
pinch salt
pinch pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
handful of finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 C. of chicken fat skimmed off of soup**
1 C. Matzo meal

*I recommend using at least two chicken thighs to shred up after they are cooked and distribute throughout the soup. I didn't want a lot of chicken in my soup, so I only used two. If your family is big on meat, add more!
**Traditionally, chicken fat, or Schmaltz is used to make matzo balls. If you don't have enough chicken fat at the top of your soup  to reach 1/4 cup, just use part chicken fat, and part oil/margarine. If you skimmed the chicken fat off the top of the soup and accidentally threw it away, just use all oil/margarine!

Instructions:
1) In the bottom of a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat up the tablespoon of oil. Add diced carrot, celery and onion. Stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. 
2)Place the chicken thighs in between the veggies and cover with all the chicken stock/broth. Reduce heat to low/medium low. (the soup should be lightly simmering). Add bay leaf. 
3)Simmer soup for 45-55 minutes, or until veggies are tender, and chicken is cooked through. Cut or shred the chicken into bite sized chunks and return to pot.
For the Matzo balls:
1)Whisk together eggs, seltzer, salt, pepper, cayenne, and skimmed chicken fat(or oil), until combined. 
2) Stir in matzo meal until combined. Stir in parsley. Cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
3)Uncover chilled matzo ball dough/mixture, and roll into 1" balls. You should get 12-13 balls. If needed, dust your hands in extra matzo meal to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. I also lined the plate with matzo meal so the balls wouldn't stick to the plate. 
4) Drop the matzo balls into simmering, heavily salted water, and simmer for about 30 minutes on medium-low to low heat, partially covered. 
5) When matzo balls are finished cooking, drop them into the soup, and bring everything to a simmer for 10 minutes. 

Serves 4-6 people 
I found this bouillon in the "Latin" aisle in my grocery store. It's my new favorite. Very tasty! It's also the cheapest Bouillon there! 




My little pup, Walter, begging for a piece of matzo ball! 











No comments:

Post a Comment