Thursday, January 9, 2014

Next Day Chicken Casserole




I apologize for not posting in a few days- I had a stomach flu that literally kicked my butt and lasted a WEEK! I have never gotten hit that bad with a stomach bug in my life! Okay, enough excuses. Today I made this recipe with some leftover roast chicken, and it was very well received. My dad told me twice that I can make that recipe anytime. This casserole is very versatile. Roasted red peppers and peas would be a delicious way to incorporate more vegetables into the recipe. Almost any vegetable would taste wonderful! You could use any type of precooked chicken, and any kind of small pasta.

Ingredients:

1 ½ C. leftover chicken, cubed
1 pkg. cream cheese
1 c. milk
1 c. chicken broth
1 tbsp. diced pimento
4 tbsp. salted butter, divided
1 ½ c. cooked macaroni (I used little wagon wheels)
½ tsp. salt 
pepper to taste
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Instructions:
1) Over medium heat, melt 3 tbsp. butter in pan. 
2)Add cream cheese, milk, broth, seasoning and pimento.
3)Boil for three minutes
4)Mix in cooked macaroni and leftover chicken
5)Pour mixture into greased baking dish and flatten mixture with a spatula so it will cook evenly
6) Top with breadcrumbs. Melt 1 tbsp butter and pour over breadcrumbs
7) Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and casserole is bubbling. 

Serves about five 


Served in my grandmothers vintage snowflake pyrex dish!


No comments:

Post a Comment